Friday, November 6, 2009

What Will Governor Meg Whitman Mean For Abortion In California?

I really do not want a Democrat to be the next Governor of California, but if Meg Whitman is a pro-abortion absolutist, then I may not vote for a Governor in 2010. When Feminists For Choice praise Whitman for her views on abortion, that sends red flags up all over the place.

"In doing some research on our candidates for the Governor of California, I began to ponder over the direction of the Republican party, particularly on social issues. Two of my very close friends, who happen to be capital R-republicans, attended John McCain’s endorsement of Republican candidate Meg Whitman this past week in Orange County. They rushed home to give me the news they knew I wanted. She’s pro-choice and proud of it!

I’ll be the first to admit that the news excited me. Despite my distaste with the core objectives of the Republican party, it was great to hear an intelligent and independent woman standing up to a crowd of anti-choice supporters to self-identify as a pro-choice advocate.

And honestly, that’s exactly what Meg Whitman is. A strong, independent, thought-provoking woman who stands as a role model for hard working and dedicated women all over the globe. Meg Whitman is one of only seven women to be consistently ranked among the world’s most influential people by Time Magazine. The Wall Street Journal named her one of the “50 Women to Watch” in 2005; Fortune ranked her the most powerful woman in business in 2004 and 2005; and BusinessWeek has included her on its list of the 25 most powerful business managers every year since 2000..."


Whitman is clearly not voicing her views on the issue from her website as far as I can tell. She may try and slit the difference on social issues by opposing gay marriage, but I think the murder of unborn babies ought to take a prima facie precedent in this case.

Cross posted at Blue Collar Philosophy.