Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My abortion would have cost $460



Recently I made a phone call to Planned Parenthood because I wanted to know if they required a client to have an ultrasound before an abortion. So I dialed the number and asked the receptionist if I had to have an ultrasound before an abortion. Her answer was yes, but before she would tell me anything else she asked me if I was married and how much my husband and I made. I made up a number 26 and we make $65,000 a year. She paused for a second and then told me it would cost $460 for my abortion which included the price of an ultrasound.

I was shocked. For my hypothetical situation it would have cost the price of a chair. A piece of furniture in my house would be the same amount to have an abortion. I shared my discoveries with a few people and some thought it was expensive others thought it was cheap. I thought this is insane! What are your thoughts?

s.t-w